~ “Money, pardon the expression, is like manure. It’s not worth a thing unless it’s spread around, encouraging young things to grow.” ~
— Dolly Levi (From the musical Hello Dolly)
The Suit of Pentacles is associated with the element of Earth. Pentacles signify the fruits of our labor, the results of the process we have been through with the other suits. They represent security, as well as, the literal ‘ground’ from which new ideas can grow. Pentacles also represent the value of physical experience, and are also our connection to nature and earth. Everything within this suit is tangible, real, and can be experienced in the physical level of existence. Within a reading, an excess of Pentacles could represent things like getting stuck in a rut, lack of imagination and stimulation, heaviness, sluggishness, and to some extent, even melancholy. A lack or absence of Pentacles could represent flightiness, lack of focus, anxiety and confusion, a weak root chakra, and financial instability.
The following are a list of keywords for the suit of Pentacles. These keywords are not to be relied on as crutches, but as creative springboards for us to develop our own interpretation and understanding of not just each card, but the suit of Cups on its whole.
- Alternative Titles: Coins. Disks. Circles. Stones. Shields. Diamonds.
- Element: Earth
- Signs: Capricorn, Taurus, Virgo.
- Planets: Venus. Saturn.
- Style: Drying. Cracking. Materializing. Stabilizing. Crystallizing. Solidifying.
- Jungian Function: Sensing.
- Colors: Brown. Green. Black.
- Season: Winter
- Direction: North
- Time of Day: Midnight.
- Feudal Class: Merchants, Business, and Professional class.
- Keywords: Money. Material World. Property. Inheritance. Wealth. Business. Possessions. Savings. Talents. Training. Education. Study. Time. Giving and Receiving. Profit and Loss. Tangible Reality. Work. Values. Mother Nature. Emotional Security. Sensual Pleasure. Rewards.
- ACE OF PENTACLES
The Root of the Powers of Earth
- Astrology: The Aries/Taurus/Gemini Quadrant of the Zodiac.
- Chart Position: 0 Aries to 30 Gemini
- Dates: March 21st to June 20th
- Qabalah: Kether (Crown) in Assiah (Body)
- Positive Keywords: Tangible Beginnings. Prosperity. Comfort. Reward.
- Negative Keywords: Greed. Miserliness. Possessiveness. Materialism.
- Affirmation: I am open and receptive to all the love and abundance in the universe, and thank you life.
- TWO OF PENTACLES
Lord of Harmonious Change
- Astrology: Jupiter in Capricorn
- Chart Position: 0 Capricorn to 10 Capricorn
- Dates: December 22nd to December 30th
- Qabalah: Chokmah (Wisdom) in Assiah (Body)
- Positive Keywords: Balance. Movement. Multitasking. Changes.
- Negative Keywords: Disequilibrium. Disorganization. Inflexibility. Unfocused.
- Affirmation: I feel safe to be me and free to be in this moment of life.
- THREE OF PENTACLES
Lord of Material Works
- Astrology: Mars in Capricorn
- Chart Position: 10 Capricorn to 20 Capricorn
- Dates: December 31st to January 9th
- Qabalah: Binah (Understanding) in Assiah (Body)
- Positive Keywords: Superior Talents. Progress. Diligence. Expertise.
- Negative Keywords: Inefficiency. Boredom. Thankless Task. Lack of Respect.
- Affirmation: I am filled with life and energy and the joy of living.
- FOUR OF PENTACLES
Lord of Earthly Power
- Astrology: Sun in Capricorn
- Chart Position: 20 Capricorn to 30 Capricorn
- Dates: January 10th to January 19th
- Qabalah: Chesed (Mercy) in Assiah (Body)
- Positive Keywords: Power. Enrichment. Possession. Stability.
- Negative Keywords: Greed. Stinginess. Suspicion. Fear.
- Affirmation: I am flexible and flowing and experience the new wholly with joy. I move forward with forgiveness, tolerance, and compassion.
- FIVE OF PENTACLES
Lord of Material Trouble
- Astrology: Mercury in Taurus
- Chart Position: 0 Taurus to 10 Taurus
- Dates: April 21st to April 30th
- Qabalah: Geburah (Severity) in Assiah (Body)
- Positive Keywords: Spiritual Awareness. Renewed Faith. Independence. Survival Skills.
- Negative Keywords: Loss. Frustration. Worry. Misfortune.
- Affirmation: I release all restrictions, and I am free to be me. My faith in myself and the universe liberates me and enriches my life.
- SIX OF PENTACLES
Lord of Material Success
- Astrology: Moon in Taurus
- Chart Position: 10 Taurus to 20 Taurus
- Dates: May 1st to May 10th
- Qabalah: Tiphareth (Beauty) in Assiah (Body)
- Positive Keywords: Success. Generosity. Gratitude. Profits.
- Negative Keywords: Disparity in Power. Shortchanged. Codependence. Bad Debts
- Affirmation: My good now flows freely. Divine ideas express through me. I am at peace.
- SEVEN OF PENTACLES
Lord of Success Unfulfilled
- Astrology: Saturn in Taurus
- Chart Position: 20 Taurus to 30 Taurus
- Dates: May 11th to May 20th
- Qabalah: Netzach (Victory) in Assiah (Body)
- Positive Keywords: Reevaluation. Patience. Persistence. Planning.
- Negative Keywords: Failure. Depression. Demoralization. Self-Pity.
- Affirmation: It is my birthright to have my needs met. I now ask for what I want with love and with ease.
- EIGHT OF PENTACLES
Lord of Prudence
- Astrology: Sun in Virgo
- Chart Position: 0 Virgo to 10 Virgo
- Dates: August 23rd to September 1st
- Qabalah: Hod (Splendor) in Assiah (Body)
- Positive Keywords: Talent. Dedication. Apprenticeship. Financial Caution.
- Negative Keywords: Fraudulence. Poor Quality. All Work and No Play. Self-Criticism.
- Affirmation: My talents are a gift from the universe; how I apply them is my gift to the universe.
- NINE OF PENTACLES
Lord of Material Gain
- Astrology: Venus in Virgo
- Chart Position: 10 Virgo to 20 Virgo
- Dates: September 2nd to September 11th
- Qabalah: Yesod (Foundation) in Assiah (Body)
- Positive Keywords: Prosperity. Good-Fortune. Protection. Self-Mastery.
- Negative Keywords: Entrapment. Loneliness. Incompleteness. Self-Indulgence.
- Affirmation: I release and dissolve the past. I am a clear thinker. I live in the now in peace and in joy.
- TEN OF PENTACLES
Lord of Wealth
- Astrology: Mercury in Virgo
- Chart Position: 20 Virgo to 30 Virgo
- Dates: September 12th to September 22nd
- Qabalah: Malkuth (Kingdom) in Assiah (Body)
- Positive Keywords: Tradition. Comfort. Abundance. Inheritance.
- Negative Keywords: Family Troubles. Suffocating Traditions. Dependence. Excessive Materialism.
- Affirmation: I am free to enjoy the pleasures of life. I release all pressures and burdens. Life flows freely through me and I live in the joyous present.
All images are taken from the Fenestra Tarot by Chatriya Hemharnvibul. Please click HERE to purchase a copy of this brilliant, evocative and stunningly beautiful deck!
Love and Blessings